Southern Oregon’s 4 higher ed institutions announce consortium

The presidents of four public colleges and universities in Southern Oregon joined forces today to create the Southern Oregon Higher Education Consortium – an alliance aimed at streamlining students’ educational pathways and addressing the region’s specific workforce needs. A memorandum of understanding signed by the presidents of Klamath Community College, Oregon Institute of Technology, Rogue Community College and Southern Oregon University calls upon the consortium...

Don’t let engineers talk over your head

Jessica Simpson already had a bachelor’s degree, but when she needed additional training in a new career field, she signed up for classes at Rogue Community College. “I came to Linx Technologies with a mechanical engineering degree, which did not really focus on electronics, so I was lacking in knowledge about what we do here,” conceded Simpson, operations manager for the Merlin-based wireless components company....

Nichole Bogart

RCC ‘about half the cost of going to a university’

Nichole Bogart has worked at Carestream for nine years, initially connecting through a temp agency then joining the staff at the White City manufacturing facility. She advanced to several different roles before landing a position in quality control. With her sights set on moving into management or an engineering position, Nichole realized she needed to go back to school. “At my level, the only...

Fahey appointed as interim board member

Pat Fahey was sworn in Monday, Oct. 1 to the Zone 2 seat on the Rogue Community College (RCC) Board of Education. The Board appointed Fahey on an interim basis in place of Dean Wendle, who retired in July. “The RCC Board of Education is pleased to welcome Pat Fahey,” said Board Chair Claudia Sullivan. “I look forward to working with Pat, and I know...

Construction begins for new fire science Educational Center

Rogue Community College and Jackson County Fire District 3 broke ground Aug. 27, 2018 on construction of a 2,700-square-foot Educational Center in White City. The $1 million project is slated to be completed in January. The project represents a partnership between the two entities, which have a long history of successful partnerships. “We are proud to have such a great partnership with RCC, and...

RCC Ospreys will add volleyball in 2019

Ospreys will start spiking volleyballs in Northwest Athletic Conference South Division action in 2019. “We are stoked,” said Rogue Community College athletic director Darren Van Lehn. “Bringing women’s volleyball to Rogue means more opportunity for local athletes to continue their athletic careers while earning a college education. It also means an exciting new sport for our fans.” The Ospreys will make their first serve in...

Wendle retires after 30 years on RCC board

After 30 years of dedicated service, Dean Wendle has retired from the Rogue Community College Board of Education. His tenure was the longest of any board member, past or present, spanning more than half the history of the college. “I thoroughly enjoyed my elected position with RCC,” Wendle said. “I served on this board with a marvelous group of colleagues who sought to provide the...

Stokes appointed as interim board member

The Rogue Community College Board of Education on May 24, 2018 appointed Roger Stokes as interim board member representing Zone 6 of the RCC district, which primarily covers southwest Jackson County. Stokes fills the position left vacant Feb. 27 by Tim Johnson. The appointment expires June 30, 2019. The next regular district election will be in May, at which time an election will be held...